AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"hardest people to love"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/18/2016 13:10 (#5643097 - in reply to #5643010)
Subject: RE: "hardest people to love"

southern MN
Orfarmer - 11/18/2016 10:50

I get the point of the meme, but it seems these types of things are getting to be over the top, or maybe I'm just paying attention to it more. I'm sure some nurses and doctors would have a similar story to tell when the old bull headed farmer comes for a visit, so this situation is not unique to ag.

We all know how important farmers are, many Joe Public do too. Some are idiots, but there will always be some of those in every crowd. But farmers aren't more important than doctors, factory workers, truck drivers, etc. We all have important work to do.

I see more and more of the "look at me, I'm so important, look at my big machine, get out of my way" type stuff and some of it is a real turn off. I can't imagine how the public might perceive it, but luckily most of it just gets passed around in ag circles to stroke our own ego.

I would encourage all of us to listen to our buyers and accommodate their needs, wants, and desires. It's basic business 101.

You have a lot there to agree with. Good words.

The one issue, the public is not on the Internet, telling doctors they need to return to blood letting to cure pneumonia, nor telling truck drivers they need to return to single axle gasoline powered rigs, nor telling factory workers they need to return to wearing no safety gear, hearing protection, and avoid all automated assist work.

In fact, they are telling those professions to get on with it and become more tech involved.

The disconnect between your examples and how farming is treated is just terribly puzzling. I don't think Joe Public has really thought about it, or they would realize what they want is not what they think they are asking for.

What they want is healthier food that is still easy fast cheap to consume.

And that in not in the farmers ballpark. That is between the processors and Joe Public. We farmers already supply the safe plentiful basic ingredients.

I'm not going to chase after a false house of cards and sell that to Joe Public. That wouldn't be right either.

Nothing wrong with organic selling or buying, but some of the claims made, the marketing, and the miseducation of Joe Public along the way has that same, look at me, I'm more important bad vibe you mention too.

I would prefer operating in a truly educated environment.

My goal of getting through my career, one small bit at a time.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)