AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hay feild traffic paterns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 10/29/2006 22:34 (#56369 - in reply to #56035)
Subject: Size of equipment & hay packages vs 50 years ago

Central Kansas
Typical haying operation in these parts today would involve a 16-18' self-propelled swather, a 12-14 wheel rake pass, then either a big hulking 4WD tractor pulling a 4x4x8 baler followed by a front wheel assist tractor picking these bales up and placing them on a semi or 5' round bales processed in the same manner. This is all done on the alfalfa. Bit more compaction and weight that an H Farmall with a sickle mower, 9' side rake, and then putting it up in loose stacks or little squares. Even our 5'x6' round balers wear big tires and carry up to 2,000 lb bale packages. A smaller operator like myself with a small square baler and a 70 h.p. tractor is a rare deal.

My point......'trailing' when moving hay and equipment around the hay field is more a cosmetic thing if regrowth has not occurred or only started. Think about all that weight that has moved multiple times across your field getting to the point of this question....and 3-4 times per year!

Varieties are getting better and many are being designed to meet the increased weight of haying equipment and package size. This is just another viewpoint....but I doubt anyone will foresake their round baler and semi for a push stacker. I am convinced that the longevity of my alfalfa stands, greatly exceeding most in the area, is based, only in part mind you, on lighter equipment and less compaction.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)