AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ways to justify full time employees on grain farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

emtbd1979
Posted 11/12/2016 08:43 (#5632868 - in reply to #5632839)
Subject: RE: Ways to justify full time employees on grain farm

west central illinois
steelguitar - 11/12/2016 07:27

emtbd1979 - 11/12/2016 08:22

steelguitar - 11/12/2016 07:13

emtbd1979 - 11/12/2016 08:02

R.Boss - 11/12/2016 06:58

Yeah, that capitalism is terrible. Give me a break.
think of it as running your neighbors cash rent up sky high. Same principle. May not be against the law but it's damn sure a BS move.

How is it BS if someone can do it more efficiently, providing the same or better service to a customer at a lower rate? That's great for the consumer of the service.
doing it efficiently and at a lower cost legally and on the exact same playing field as the others is one thing. Flying in a few months a year and playing by the rules and under cutting to keep a couple guys busy because he doesn't want to pay them is another. If it is done right he won't be much cheaper playing on a level field. Also won't make much money. That's why I said figure out what the area is lacking and in need of. Other than that its rate cutting. Make sense now?

No im not following your logic. Let's say they are doing shop work over the winter for people. Why does the consumer care if they only do that for a few months vs another shop that is open year round? If they do a good job and do it cheaper/faster/better etc than the current shop, more power to them. If he does it too cheap and loses money it that's his problem to deal with, but it's not a BS move as you called it.
ok well below you used trucking which is my side job so I'll lay it out for you.

Guys think just like you"go haul grain". Yep already got the truck,trailer and driver. Then it's $6000 for lic, and insurance. Well I won't do it a lot I can run my farm plates. I won't get caught. Then to get the work guys big it cheaper because they can they don't have the same expenses. Work comp is another big one.

I don't haul grain or rock unless one of the guys does it for a living calls and needs help. I found a market hauling heavy equipment that there was a need for not the easy hell I'll just haul grain.

There is no money operating like that. You just wear your junk out for no return. Find the area that needs guys and make money not just supplement a salary.

Shop work I have no doubt there is a market for. Trucking,tiling, excavating,pushing snow are all trades that have enough cut throats already in certain areas. You just end up wearing out equipment, adding stress and not making a dime.

Edited by emtbd1979 11/12/2016 08:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)