AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maybe take somebody to Hacksaw Ridge
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jakescia
Posted 11/11/2016 10:45 (#5631372 - in reply to #5630404)
Subject: Story time.............

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

We saw Hacksaw Ridge...........and I have an 18-yr old grandson.

Just too close for comfort.

As I watched the protesting of the election of Trump, and the articles about the "grievance" and "support groups" at the colleges for the students smitten by the "adverse" election outcome.......

.......I was reminded about one of the few times that I went into my parent's bedroom at night as a kid......and Dad was obviously having a nightmare--twitching, shaking, moaning, etc.

Mom said....it's ok. He is just having a nightmare about the War.

Dad was a captain, and then major, in WWII.......South Pacific.

He seldom talked about his time there, but he told me that the two worst things that he ever had to do were...... order his troops into battle, knowing that he would lose at least 50%.......and ordering the open pit burial of Japanese soldiers, using bulldozers.

He said that he always required his officers to stand along the pit during the operation, with him, so that the enlisted guys could see that the officers had the cajones to do so.  He said that it seemed that the enlisted guys had more respect for the officers after watching them heave their guts out when the dozers would cut arms and legs off, or split bodies.  Many times even the dozer operators would lose it.

But........he came back.  He was able to handle it, just like thousands of others.

And........he never ever had a disparaging word for those who sought help after coming home.  The VA was a big thing to him. 

Maybe he thought.........but for the Grace of God, there I would be.......

But I would really like to hear what he (and many others of his time) would say about......grievance counseling at the college level (young, strong, healthy, years of future)  for "losing" an election..........

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)