AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Puff are you puking yet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 11/9/2016 12:38 (#5627725 - in reply to #5627150)
Subject: RE: Puff are you puking yet?

SE Manitoba
puff33m - 11/9/2016 07:31

I'm upgrading Garvo. You just don't see it, because I tend to share the cash flowing old cows, my signature. I can run 80 head in the winter, and about 40 in the summer. Therefore, i need disposable cattle in winter. Those 40 i keep will be 10 bred heifers, 8 bred 2yo pairs, and the remainder younger to middle age efficient cows. I will also need to sort off the next gen of heifers, about 15, in July. The beauty of this looks to me is that nice 4 wt heifers are $400 here and gaining value, and old bred cows are $800 and losing value. So I have a big group of the right animals at the right time.

I may hit it pretty well this next year. I am actually planning to sell a bunch of bred cows in January and hoping to buy in enough bull calves in February to put on peak ryegrass in March and April. Trying to put together a truckload of red and black preconditioned calves. I will have about 35 home raised They won't be extremely uniform, but I will represent them for what they are, and will make more than singles in sale barn for my home raised, should do OK on the stockers, and learn a lot.

I have pretty much convinced myself if I see someone's good young cow at the market it's a problem animal, and if I see an old mismanaged bred cow, it is a problem owner. There isn't "industrial complex" selling large numbers of uniform young cows here, like you guys see. And if they are, they surely won't offer positive cash flow. So I am content to grow my own young herd and have fun and make money doing it.

You know - - - - as long as you are making something (money) AND you're enjoying it - - - well keep on keeping on!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)