AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blacktop a shop floor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iseedit
Posted 11/6/2016 05:18 (#5620556 - in reply to #5620264)
Subject: RE: Blacktop a shop floor?

central - east central Minnesota -

Chris - 11/5/2016 21:08

I have an old corn crib with a concrete floor in less than perfect shape.  I use it for my shop and because the floor is broken or rough it makes it difficult to move tools around.

My options are pour a new floor which will be hard on my legs and feet as well as increase condensation on my tools or put down 2X4's (treated) and then put 3/4" plywood over that.  The latter is what I'm leaning towards. '

Then I got to thinking how would blacktop work, it's easier on feet, would be smooth, not increase condensation and probably be quicker than putting down the wood floor. 

What I don't know is cost and method.  Does it have to be pressed down with a roller?  The crib has some architectural obstructions that would make running some big roller pretty much impossible.

Ya know, I've been pondering that very question (Wood floors instead of concrete). Your idea of asphalt likely wouldn't work. Too large of an area to get the right, necessary equipment in there to get the density necessary to make it work.

Why wouldn't a good, old time  built, wood floor work in place of concrete ? Would be considerable less money, one person could install with less effort. Easier on body, when standing, kneeling and working on projects on it. . . . .

There's lots of smaller storage buildings built, where a wood floor would suffice instead of concrete . . .  especially if you have your own saw mill.

Lay plastic down between concrete and your wood floor - it'll help with the condensation and longevity of the wood.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)