AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fendt Durability Rant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 11/5/2016 19:30 (#5620052 - in reply to #5619749)
Subject: RE: Fendt Durability Rant

Wi
jcfarmboy - 11/5/2016 15:03

I think I have two solutions for you but need some more info from you.

The varioguide....what system is it using for GPS? It shows novatel receivers or trimble receivers....

Do you WANT the 2630 screen in the tractor or no?

The Novatel/Trimble option is only for the latest machines, the OPs tractor is 3 years old and would have the TopCon system. That said, someone with more GPS knowledge may correct me or elaborate, mine is limited.

To the OP, it sounds like you may have been sold on a poor concept. You can run the tractor with greenstar, and it sounds like that should've been the course of action to begin with. All the greenstar has to do is steer the tractor, that part is simple. The route you or your salesman or whoever, apparently took is much more complicated.

The "S4" (aka tier 4 final) Fendts with the 10.4B terminal, come with section control. Whether or not it would work with your planter I do not know.

I would also echo what others have said if you primarily own JD equipment, buy a JD tractor. As much as I like Fendts, it's not worth the headache in a situation like yours, especially when Deere makes a great tractor as well.

As for the poster with the buddies cousins uncle that had an ISOBUS issue, I'd be curious to know the details. Fendt has had an ISOBUS terminal and joystick for many many years. I've had one instance where there was some incompatibility, plugging a 2014 Kuhn baler into a 2005 Fendt (works fine with 2013 and 2015 Fendts we have). It's possible an update to the tractor could solve this, or its possible the baler is new enough it just won't work completely. The tractor loaded the program fine, but the representation on the screen/terminal was off.

Although this topic isn't about reliability, and is more along the lines of precision talk, reliability of the trans and engine were also brought up. The newish 800 series engines had some issues that were addressed with the S4s. The only newer 900 engine(Duetz) that I've heard of with an issue locally was due to an operator ignoring the overtemp alarm for 30+ minutes. Long enough to melt the valve cover. The older 900s had MAN engines with their own set of issues. As for transmission reliability, operator can play a large role there. Look at the number of Agco/MF/Challenger tractors that have gotten inserts versus Fendt (obviously based on percentage sold), it's very high primarily due to range shifting by the operator as a result of the button location, operators manual instructions and lack of protection in the programming.

Good luck to the OP, I suggest investigating if the new 10.4B section control will work, if not I suggest steering the Fendt with greenstar (as many have done), or just buy a Deere.

Edited by durallymax 11/5/2016 19:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)