AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John deere Grain carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 11/5/2016 01:23 (#5618979 - in reply to #5618956)
Subject: RE: John deere Grain carts

West Union, Illinois

When I Goggled John Deere cart the typical hit looked like this

I'm assuming that isn't what you want.  When I searched for John Deere grain cart I got a lot more choices, most of which I have never seen around here.  In this area when you say old Deere grain cart everyone thinks one like this

If that is what you are looking at, look very closely.  Most are worn out. (in fact one looking as nice as this would be suspicious around here.  It looks WAY too nice) There are at least 2 down sides to them.
1) you cannot shut off the grain flow.  Once you start unloading you can't fold the auger until it is empty.  Also starting with a full auger may cause problems.  If you can start the PTO slowly and gently you'll be OK. Wind up the engine and slam it in gear and something may give.
2) they do not have much reach. The auger was designed for a low sided single axle truck. A semi with high sides might be a difficulty. At one time we had a 12010a and a J&M 525.  To load the local elevator's semi you had to unload the Deere into the J&M.  It could not reach over the side unless conditions were just right, and they usually were not in the field.
3) (I said at least) The small wheels do not handle mud well.  Especially the slick aircraft tires they usually have on them.

Edited by Mike SE IL 11/5/2016 01:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)