AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about PTO generators
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 1/7/2009 17:35 (#561604 - in reply to #561534)
Subject: RE: Tell me about PTO generators

The rule of thumb with PTO generators has always been 2 PTO HP per rated KVA of generator. You've got 34 engine hp.... so that probably kicks out somewhere around 30 PTO hp as those things don't lose a whole lot in their drivelines. So, you're basically on course to run a 15 KVA steady. You're not likely to need 15 KVA steady BUT YOU WILL NEED 15 KVA for starting some of those motors.
When you have your basic loads such as lights and whatnot running, the fridge and a few other things that you don't think of and then the blower, pump or deep freeze cuts in... well, lets just say it's too much for a 5-8000 W generator.

We've got a 5500 W for the house. That makes 20 amps. The 15 KVA will do about 65 amps. The 25 KVA we have for the farm will make 100 amps.
Starting load is what kills these things, not that you're really using all that much power most of the time.

I'd suspect that running the 15 KVA will burn 1-1.5 gph in fuel with that tractor... without actually figuering it out. It'll burn as much on that as it does on any other hard PTO work.

For frequency monitoring I just use a multimeter (Fluke) which has a frequency scale. Set the speed until it makes 60Hz and you're good to go. With our 25 KVA that happens at 125/250V... and you can also go by that pretty well if everything is working correctly and you don't want to buy a 300 dollar fluke meter.

Our 25 came with a blinking 'speed light' but I never had much faith in it as it's hard to see a lot of the time. The gen itself it a 35 year old Magnate MkII by N.J. Froment. They're still in production if you can find a local dealer... It's been a good generator for us.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)