AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Injured Gilt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ben5398
Posted 11/2/2016 19:02 (#5614486)
Subject: Injured Gilt

Central Illinois
I have a gilt I saved back that comes from a prolific line, I bought her mother for a purpose of having genetics of a sow line that will lay down and produce 12 pigs consistently. Unfortunately she is all I have of the line as I did not save any siblings and her mother died. She was at a point where I was about to breed her but something happened where she went lame in her right front leg right before I put her with my boar. I separated her and she was recovering. After about a week I had my vet out for a different gilt. He looked at her and figured it to be a muscle injury likely caused by being laid on. He shot her with a steroid. A week later it started raining for several days straight, the first morning while raining I came out and she was laying outside in a puddle. She could not get up on her own. I got her up fed her and went to work, when I came home she was in the same spot. I got her up again fed her and put her inside her hut for the night. The next morning I again had to help her up. By the weekend she could not even stand if I helped her up. She would fall on her front legs while her back legs would push her forward. She would run forward with her head on the ground until she fell or hit something.

I went to the vet and got a steroid, within 6 hours she was standing on her own and even walking some. I then went back to the vet a week later and got two more shots that I administered a couple days apart. She was recovering nicely but still not getting up on her own. It got to a point where it took very little to get her up but I still had to lift her. Then a light rain hit and her pen was slick for a day and she has regressed some.

I contacted my vet as i noticed a pattern she will only fall to the right which was her good side when all this started. She wont even lay on her left, if I knock her down to the left she will flop around and eventually stand on her own. If she falls to her right she just lays until someone helps her up. My vet wondered if it was not an ear issue so he gave an antibiotic.

The antibiotic was administered on Monday. She is still not standing on her own and will only lay on her right. I dont like bothering my vet anymore for a gilt but she has a great appetite and is the last in a line I dont want to loose. I have called him 4-5 times over the last month and a half about her. He has only charged me for the one time he came out, the rest of the time he just charged me for the steroids and antibiotic. What suggestions does NAT have?

Edited by ben5398 11/3/2016 00:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)