AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WW1 Era Rural Ontario Photos ... Name That Town
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kawartha
Posted 11/2/2016 01:13 (#5613118 - in reply to #5612398)
Subject: RE: WW1 Era Rural Ontario Photos ... Name That Town

'We bought a farm in 1975 that still had a fence running down the centre, remnants of an old lane way, which had several smaller elms growing along it. When it cleaned up the rest of the fence I left 4 of those and worked around them ever since. 2 of them are/were quite big. Too big for my big chainsaw to reach through to cut it when it died last year and I had to take it out, also one of the smaller ones died too and now the 2 remaining are dead this year.
Still have the stumps to work around until I get a hoe in to clean them up after I fell the last 2.
At least I will have 2 nice elm logs 12-16 feet long to saw out." Quote

Well at least the elms you saved were healthy for what, 30 years, I assume you enjoyed having them around. Good job.

In this modern world, my brain tells me that clearing out lanes, fence lines and trees is economically and practically necessary but to see it happening kind of saddens me. I've many good memories of the old Oliver 66 & 77 pulling wagons, hay balers etc up the old lane to the barn. The dairy cattle were pastured not confined back then, it was a pleasant sight to see them calm and content walking down the lane after been fed and milked.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)