AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For guys wanting too farm full time/rent land/ect.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Omar
Posted 11/1/2016 19:51 (#5612543 - in reply to #5610765)
Subject: RE: For guys wanting too farm full time/rent land/ect.

Elmira, Ontario

agfarms - 10/31/2016 19:10 Got to love the straw hats. Electric for the men but keep the women in the dark. What a great example they set**** Maybe it's just a here thing. Sorry if I seem intolerant of the pilgrims. But when you have daughter's sisters a mom and a wife.....can't see them bringing alot to the table.

I'm not too crazy about how you have characterized a group of people you know nothing about.

I think you will find that the Amish and Mennonites are quite varied. They are very decentralized in authoritative structure, so what you know about one group doesn't apply elsewhere. There is much in common, but also many differences, both in lifestyle and religious statutes. Some of the groups are more into the idea of equality of gender roles than you are. The others may practice different roles for male and female, but they definitely see the two as equal in the eyes of God.

Something to keep in mind. Up to the 1880's, the Amish and Mennonites didn't practice different cultures. They kept to their own community, but lived the same as those around them. At that time, there was a movement to Sunday School and to revival meetings. This threatened some in those groups. They felt it was taking religious instruction away from the family where it was supposed to be. This was the start of rejecting outside influences for actual living practices. Many Mennonites and Amish didn't follow that idea, and there are variations of culture across a full spectrum.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)