AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gleaner G diesel-hydro for GM GUY
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 10/31/2016 23:16 (#5611508 - in reply to #5609819)
Subject: RE: Gleaner G diesel-hydro for GM GUY

NW KS/ SC ID
So much for keeping it on the down low. :) lol

We have been talking to the guy for a couple weeks. Old man is getting cheap on me, and all my money is tied up fixing hail damage on the pickup fleet, so it all comes down to talking dad into it. :) The seller is quite an interesting individual, he stopped by for a visit this summer. I have yet to ask him why he is selling, but I am kinda bummed he cannot keep it and enjoy it. Gotta spread the joy. :)

For those who dont know, basically the processor on the G is just a wide F, and the powertrain is heavier, especially the final drives. 30 inch rubber is the smallest you can squeeze on.

The worst part of a G was the gear drive's tapered splined main shaft, it loved working loose and tearing **** up. Get a hydro and that issue disappears. The one in the link IIRC is a 71, first year of the big seperator clutch. 72 is the last year for level land, 73 was the last year for the GH hillside special. I have never heard of a 73 G level land, but I suppose anything is possible, but I bet it was one of the last 72s that was delivered in 73.

Engines were 301 I6 Gas or 301 I6 Turbo Diesel. 301 gas was replaced by a 350 chevy v8 later in the run, either 70 or 71. We have a 350 gas hydro bean special at the Idaho place, definitely a unique spec'ed machine.

We finally found, and rescued, a 72 G diesel hydro out of Oklahoma a few years back, has the dual ladders, air conditioning, bin extension etc. pretty much most things except the variable speed cornhead drive and header clutch.

I would like to squeeze a folding auger off a F2 onto one, as well as a 2 series cab off a F2, basically make a G2. We do have a rough 71 G diesel hydro we saved that would be a good candidate for this.

I did see one for sale a few years back, basically a 2 series cab on a G with G2 decals, no other modifications.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)