AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone get pulled over by cops with machinery?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 1/7/2009 09:17 (#561112 - in reply to #561008)
Subject: Re: Anyone get pulled over by cops with machinery?

I live along the IN / IL state line & most of our news (newspaper, radio, & TV) come out of IL so have read & heard several articles on this. My understanding is that they are weighed as a single unit, this includes the tractor besides the wagons. Length, axle, & tire limits are same as a truck. One article I read a couple years ago was of a farmer they pulled over had a large mfd tractor pulling two large Brent wagons. I don't recall his actual gross weight but the ticket was over $30,000. This supposedly occured near Springfield , the state capital.

Main road to the elevator we deal with is on the state line. So far we haven't seen any of this but it sure wouldn't surprise me. Several years ago, an IN police office started sitting outside the elevator but never came onto the property. After a phone call from the elevator owner to the loca; State Representative the officer never came back around.

One reason I have always heard that Illinois farmers tend to use more wagons hauling grain than In farmers was the difference in licenses for trucks between the two states. Use to be farm plates for an IN truck cost about 1/4 th of what an IL truck plate thesame size cost. Don't know if that still applies but in this area we are seeing less & less hauling to the elevator with tractor & wagons. However, I'm sure increase in farm size has played a big part in that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)