AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finding Land for Rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 10/31/2016 09:41 (#5610124 - in reply to #5610034)
Subject: RE: Finding Land for Rent

Herdboar - 10/30/2016 19:42

Hereford Guy - 10/30/2016 23:50

Herdboar - 10/30/2016 06:52

When I was a young go getter, I bought 60 feeder pigs and saved back the gilts. Borrowed a Herdboar.

Sure, it's harder work than crop farming, but "it builds character" and muscles.

I know where you can buy some farrowing crates. I built much of my own equipment but used crates are selling real cheap now.

Good luck!

Yeah, but correct me here if I am wrong, can you still make anything as an independent hog producer? I know when I started that was a good option, I sure used it to some extent, but now? All I hear is that the vertical integrators have taken over the hog business. Unless you build a tunnel barn and can ship a semi plus at a time. And no, I don't mean niche pork either.

No, I don't think so.

Wendell Murphy butchered the goose that laid the golden egg years ago, and the Top 25 Pork Powerhouses in SF magazine pushed the next 24 greedy to try harder.

But if more money can be made renting $450 land, driving a $300,000 tractor for 4 weeks in the spring, and 4 weeks in the fall- have at it.

My plan had little risk. Some old buildings and a scoop shovel.

I hear you on that! Mine was real complicated too. Raised farrowing crates in an old barn. Cargill floor, couple old cow barns. I'm sure .45-.50 hogs and $1.80 corn helped too. So did being a 19 year old idiot with a strong back and a weak mind.

Yeah, Murphy was the first big player I remember. I still need to thank him (note my sarcasm) for 1998.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)