AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone get pulled over by cops with machinery?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 1/6/2009 22:53 (#560768 - in reply to #560517)
Subject: Highway patrol with machinery?(sort of)

just a tish NE of central ND
18 foot steel bin on stack mover....One year we lowered a bin and moved it to another location. The mile of minimum maintance road just happened to be under water from heavy rains the night before,At the last moment, I decided 1 mile on blacktop on a fairly wide 2 lane highway would be OK to take .Trafic was minimal.The key here is no moving permit. I had flag vehicles. Im pulling it with open 20 series JD tractor. Remember only one mile and I'm home free right? Well wouldnt you know it. Smart ass trooper came and stoped me in that mile and told me how big of a liability I had here with a bin on the road. You couldloose you farm doing this.I said , (I don't own a farm, and I didnt at that time.)We argued and I said what is the difference if I pull a 20 foot wide drill or header on the road, and he said thats different, Those are tool of the husbandtry of the ares. I said, GRAIN DRILL<, GRAIN HEADER<.......GRAIN BIN????? Whats the difference????He says problem is you have a farm tractor and I CAN'T GET YOU for commercial violations.If you had a pickup Id really get you good. I couldnt see you had a tractor from behind your binWell,we are sitting in the middle of the raod with a steel bin on a trailer having a nasty discussion and he is worried about safety????He must really think those cop lights make HIM a safe thing on a highway huh?Anyway,then he wrote me a ticket for not having the permit for overwidth and insisted I could not move it any farther until I get a permity tomotrow(later in the afternoon in summertime).He wrote the ticket for the wrong county.I told him so. he said how do you know its the wrong county? and I said, Ah.I live here!Tore it up and wrote a different ticket. Then said pull it off in the slough in the ditch!!!!!!!WHAT!!! NO WAY. I said, Turn on your lights and lead me over to the local business and let me park it there. Then he informed me he couldnt do that since it was a matter I needed to take up with the city......??? Small town ND ??City??? My friends run that place and I told him that it was not in city limits...AH he says,just how do you know that ????/DA.....I live here!Then he said you have to ask the owners.....Ah.....its my buddies place, I leave other things set there when ever I want too and its OK........ he says how do you know. AHhhhhh,I LIVE here!! Next words out of his mouth before he speeds off was pay the dam ticket and get the He-l out of where with that dam thing. I drove it home. All this excitment near Martin ND.go figure.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 1/6/2009 22:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)