AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigating snow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

David Dechant
Posted 10/28/2006 23:43 (#56061)
Subject: Irrigating snow

The ground was completely white the day before yet we turned on the pivots just as soon as it got warm enough.

Years ago I thought a person would have been nuts to do this but seven years of drought has taught us to take the water whenever it is available. Including this recent snow, we have had seven inches of moisture for the entire year.

The water right for this farm in the South Platte valley northeast of Denver has been unable, that is, out of priority, to draw any water out of the river until recently. So even though it's too late to get any growth out of the alfalfa, the moisture stored in the ground will come in handy if we have another dry winter and spring.I'll have to quit after the first of Nov. as according to the state regs, reservoir filling season begins, so direct (immediate) use like this is supposed to stop.

I have irrigation wells too, but the state has curtailed nearly everyone's wells and others it shut of completely. All without compensation. To make matters worse, some of the growing Front Range water thirsty cities stared sending out their water Gestapo to see if anyone is running wells when they state says they shouldn't. So more reason yet to use surface water if and whenever available.

I've been reading some of the posts about it being too wet to harvest in the midwest. I don't envy you. But I don't know what is worse, not being able to grow a crop because it is too dry or not being able to harvest it because it is too wet. In fact, I think as many if not more crops are lost to excessive moisture than not enough.

But it sure would be nice to have more water and I'd pay for your tiling just to have the water that comes out of them if you could find a way to get it to Colorado.

Edited by David Dechant 10/29/2006 01:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)