AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking advantage of people-Maternity leave
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

havin'funfarming
Posted 10/20/2016 11:56 (#5591441 - in reply to #5590416)
Subject: RE: Taking advantage of people-Maternity leave

Manitoba, Canada
Think of it this way though. Let's say that you need help at harvest so you decide to hire a couple of people to help out. To get the help you need you have to offer perks so you decide that they can have the weekends off. The weather forecast looks good anyways. Unfortunately, the weather turns against you and it is now getting late in the year and you still have a lot of your crop out there. The weather breaks on a weekend and you could finally get your crop in the bin. One of your employees cares about your situation and decides to work weekends even though he doesn't have to per the agreement. The other worker decides to play his x-box all weekend because you agreed to let him have the weekends off. In other words, he will only perform "at the minimum level required in [his] job description." You are right, he is doing nothing wrong. You finish the last bit of crop on Monday afternoon. What kind of a boss would you be? Would you value and appreciate them equally? Nobody did anything wrong. Both did everything they agreed to do. The only difference is that one of them went beyond the minimum required because of the situation you were in to help you. Are you the type of boss that would call him foolish? I am talking from experience here as I have been called the "foolish" person. The only difference was for me it was in a family farm environment. To be blunt, I learned to not "care" about certain family members anymore and they can't understand why.

I don't know the full situation of the girl on maternity leave. You likely don't either. You are right in that we should not jump to the conclusion that she is "working" the system. Likewise, you should not jump to the conclusion and assume she isn't. I am not knocking the need for maternity leave. There is a need for it. Many people use it responsibly and for what it is intended. For many it is still not enough and it would be nice if we could find a way to help them more. However, like any system, some people will abuse it and end up placing an extra burden on those who are committed to doing more than the minimum required.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)