AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean Pod Set
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/28/2006 07:55 (#55895 - in reply to #55884)
Subject: Re: Soybean Pod Set

Martinsville, Ohio
Something must have have aborted pods and too many 1 and 2 bean pods!

Whatever your big stressor was made a major hit on your yields. Sounds like our beans in the mid 90's. Bean yields have been much better here since 2000 as better varieties were introduced.

I am getting better yields with lower populations but then you need good spacing and you have more weeds to deal with here. Weeds were a major problem this year even in RR beans. We have four species that are pretty resistant to glyphosate and ALS herbicides so our choices are limited.

My best beans are after two years of corn so that concept of diverse rotations like C-C-S-W is helping our situation. The farther I can stretch the rotation the better my yields are. Still we have continuous soybeans everywhere around here!

Inoculants are making us 5 bushels or better this year so use a good inoculant. That still won't get you up to 50 so something else is missing.

Something in that field and variety has an Achille's Heel and Mother Nature tripped that heel!

The 100 bu soybean club is looking for products and techniques that keep pods and fill them. It is a long hard struggle so don't give up.

Keep searching and Good Luck!

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)