AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking advantage of people-Maternity leave
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaCenturyFarm
Posted 10/19/2016 05:47 (#5589117 - in reply to #5588493)
Subject: RE: Taking advantage of people-Maternity leave

People on here are misinformed. Federal law only requires that employers provide 6 weeks of maternity leave without replacing you. NONE of it is required to be paid leave according to federal law. States may differ. In all likelihood this woman either used accumulated vacation time and/or sick leave plus took some time off unpaid, as most jobs would not accrue enough time off to cover a full 6 week leave in only one year on the job. Any job I've ever worked at was this way - if there was no paid vacation or sick days, maternity leave was entirely unpaid. I know of kids at my kids' daycare that the mom was back at work when the kid was less than a week old because her job didn't have PTO and she couldn't afford to take time off. At jobs with paid leave, a man can use his vacation/sick leave as paternity leave just like a woman, but is not legally required to be allowed his 6 weeks by the FMLA. I believe this is the executive order being considered: FMLA protection for all, but not legally required paid leave in any case.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)