AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your Weather?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 10/19/2016 00:13 (#5589043 - in reply to #5588844)
Subject: RE: Your Weather?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
It made for a mad dash to get the hay finished up as we were supposed to get something rivaling the Columbus Day storm of 1962 here. We didn't get that, about half the rain they said, but enough to grind things to a halt for a while. We got about 0.6", although some of the valley got well over an inch.

Most of the hay is done, although there are some odds and ends and some 4th cutting left to go if we get the weather, but its more of a clipping to clean up the fields before winter. Be nice to have a market for green chop...

The real issue here is the row crops left to finish. Quite a few onions and some potatoes left to go. It would be nice to get some wheat planted if it dries out enough, but I'm just glad they got the potatoes off before it rained. Can make a mess if they have to mud them out. I saw some spuds getting dug today in the sand, but it didn't look like any fun. This end of the valley didn't get an inch of rain, but we have black loam and it doesn't dig well wet.

I always worry about having enough moisture for winter wheat, this rain would have been great on it if it was planted. Have a lot of tillage to do to get it ready though, and I'm sure by then it will be too dry...;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)