AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Unscientific Science Experiment Follow Up - Beans into Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cows-n-crops
Posted 10/13/2016 22:58 (#5580092 - in reply to #5579565)
Subject: RE: Unscientific Science Experiment Follow Up - Beans into Wheat

NEMO
centralillinois - 10/13/2016 17:17

Most 30 inch row beans yield just as well as the 15 inch row beans in this neighborhood. The beans now bush out more and cover the row faster than they used to. I only have a hundred questions since I thought about trying this. Did you plant the wheat in 15 inch rows? Did you use rtk when planting the beans? How tall was the wheat when you planted the beans? What kind of weed control did you use? I wasn't able to plant wheat this year since it's been wet all season long but maybe next year I'll try it. I'd like to try it in 15 inch rows but it might cause too much damage during planting.
Search on here for my 'Unscientific Science Experiment' post from July 1 and it has pictures of planting beans into the wheat and harvesting the wheat.

I think 15 inch beans would knock down too much wheat. Ideal set up would be 24 row 30 inch planter. I did plant the beans with RTK, planned on harvesting wheat straddling the bean rows but the back tire of the combine was going to run down a bean row so cut the wheat at an angle. If I do enough acres it would justify buying a different set of back tires. Normally 30 inch beans don't yield as well here.

Sorry Fry, I don't have any more pics of Ole Sparky. I'll try to get some when we harvest that field.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)