AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manlius accident
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/13/2016 19:40 (#5579677 - in reply to #5579325)
Subject: RE: Manlius accident

BHTN - 10/13/2016 10:20
usafarmer - 10/13/2016 09:30 Semi going up hill and pulled in left lane to pass a tractor. Guy comes over hill and semi runs into guy......man dead because semi did something stupid. Not an accident in my book
Around here the dispatchers quit dispatching to "accidents". They now call them MVC's (motor vehicle crashs). I get that some things might be a stretch to call an accident but if it's not then what is it? Intentional? That takes things to a new level. I've done plenty of dumb things that fortunately never killed anyone but I can think of several that had that potential. I certainly never would have intended that result. Among many other...broke a pin on a water trailer one time and it went down a hill and crossed a highway. This certainly could have easily killed or injured someone. Since there were no safety chains....accident or what? Just thoughts on the subject. Terrible when things like this happen and they affect so many people.

Every year we read on this site about several people killed in grain bin "accidents". I'd wager in 90% of them, the victim had read several articles of deaths in a grain bin doing just what they were going to do. But,.......they do it anyway. Are those that knew what they were doing was dangerous "accidents"?

All untimely deaths are "tragedies". But not all tragedies are accidents. In the broken pin with no safety chains that you cite, did you know how dangerous it was to rely on the pin only? Was the pin under sized or compromised in some way? After you lost the trailer, and witnessed what had happened, did you continue to run without safety chains? IMO, if you had not witnessed such a thing previously, and after witnessed what happened, started using proper safety, then yes, it was an accident.

There are some really great old sayings when comparing knowledge to wisdom.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)