AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Stby Generator question...Circuit Board help needed please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 1/4/2009 23:45 (#557932 - in reply to #556783)
Subject: Re: Another Stby Generator question...Circuit Board help needed please.

Jon, actually in the fourth picture, the one arrow pointing to what you thought was a fuse is actually a high wattage resistor. This may be an over current resistor or used to "bleed down" the amount of current in the circuit. A third possibility is it is used to "sample" current, but the big resistor steps it down so other electronics can sense it. In the one picture showing the front panel where you indicate the circuit board is behind the panel shows the lights for over crank and over speed circuits. The arrows going to the "diodes" are, the three on the left are diodes, the blue one on the right is actually another resistor.

If that big resistor is mounted tight to the board, it is a poor circuit design since it does not allow the large amount of heat to dissipate properly. Heat like that would cause the board to heat up, and the circuit traces would start shorting. It seems poor anyway with it that close to the capacitor since the capacitor would heat up as well, and likely break down easier causing it to short. If I bought a new board for it, the first thing I would do is unsolder the resistor and resolder it making sure there was plenty of room between it and the board and capacitor.

Edited to add: I see now Gerald J hit on what I mentioned above.
And Edited again: If you wanted to repair it Jon, you are looking at about $20-40.00 in parts, the two resistors on the right of the capacitor, the capacitor, and the three diodes next to the relays. The big problem is the IC in the middle. It has the metal tab on the left and the three legs on the right. It might be a simple voltage regulator which would be cheap, but knowing exactly what it is is the problem. The one zener diode on the top looks OK, but it should be cheap enough to replace if you are replacing other parts. The resistors and diodes should be under $10, but the IC is unknown.

Edited by Hayburner 1/5/2009 00:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)