AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

P placement in strip-till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Matt NCOK
Posted 10/27/2006 19:12 (#55789)
Subject: P placement in strip-till

I would like to know what others are doing in terms of nutrient placement in strip till. This past year we put down all of our N as anhydrous with the strip-till bar in the Jan/Feb. time frame. I hope to move this to more of a Dec/Jan operation and leave Feb for those winters we stay wet. The goal is to be ready to plant by March 1. Most of our soils require about 50# of P every year, soil test call for 100# of 11-52-0 broadcast. Our soils have a lot of silt and clay and are slightly acidic, thus they have very high Cation Exchange Capacity , good for reducing leaching, but they tie up a lot of phosphorus. Our soils are naturally high in Potassium so that isn't a problem. Historically we have always placed 50# of 11-52-0 in furrow in wheat, or banded 50# 2X2 in row crops and felt this worked well. We need to speed up the planting operation now, and remove the hassle of hauling fertilizer around during planting. We have an aircart that could be pulled in front of our Orthamn 1-trpr to carry dry product and would still allow us to pull an anhydrous tank behind the bar. My question is about P placement, should we deep band it behind the shank, blow a wide band on top of the ground behind the shank and let the coulters incorporate it, or should we try and stay with a shallow narrow band in the center of the strip and then keep the planter on the band. All those soil fertility classes I took tells me that we are going to have to bump up rates from what we are doing with a 2x2 band at planting. But how much? We will be using SF2, RTK just isn't an option with the distance we are spread out, and I was able to do a reasonably good job last year with OmniHP. I still question if we need to run a little starter fertilizer with the planter to give it a kick in our cold soils.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)