AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help with my tractor tank heater
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 1/4/2009 21:22 (#557660 - in reply to #557260)
Subject: Re: Need help with my tractor tank heater

If the "leaking" appeared after the tractor had been started and warmed up, could it be excess added coolant being forced out of the overflow as the engine temperature warmed up? A full cold radiator need room for coolant to expand/overflow as the engine warms up. If this is the case I wouldn't worry about it.

Cold weather does funny things to machinery. Hose connections tend to leak in cold weather when they didn't in warmer temps. Maybe a turn or two on a hose clamp with a screwdriver is all that is needed. But don't force it too much and strip the clamp.

Just keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator and if it stays constant where it should be, I wouldn't worry about minor seepage.

Jon is right about the tank heater upper hose connection and possible air lock due to improper hose routing. Be careful about hot coolant if you decide to try this idea. You might try slightly loosening the clamp temporarily where the hose enters the top of the engine. Then plug the heater in and see if any air purges from the hose. If no air and only coolant comes out of the loosened hose, retighten the clamp and you should be good to go.

Basically a tank heater functions like an old fashioned electric coffee percolator. Cold water coming in from the bottom of the engine gets heated and rises.HTH

Edited by John SD 1/4/2009 21:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)