AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain sorghum and sugar cane aphid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

c&k farms
Posted 10/11/2016 12:24 (#5575667 - in reply to #5574503)
Subject: RE: Grain sorghum and sugar cane aphid

SC KS
All milo I scout was treated. I did treat a couple fields Last year, but this year was 100%. 85G03, 86G32, 87Y40, 37-07, 44-20, pulsar, and warner 613 (I think). My biggest pain was 87y40. Some around jumped gun on headworm treatments, but I ws able to treat most fields at same time. Planes at 5 gpa didn't do as good as ground rigs running 20 gpa, but did keep them knocked back completely. The planes kept top 2/3 of plants clear however and I was pleased. I recommended mostly transform at .75-1.5 oz. Couldn't see a difference in control or residual. Some sivanto was ran instead by applicators couldn't see a difference. A couple fields where pivots were in the way that milo died. But treatment was never needed from a reinfestment area. My benefically safe headworm + aphid treatment was about $22-25 including application if I recall correctly. The beneficials were everywhere prior to treating lady bugs, hover flies, lacewings, and wasps. However it wasn't until after treatment that they were keeping the sca's at bay. Another note was that we were cloudy and wet with a few recs going out, but when the sun came out and we hit 90's for 7-10 days the blew up!!! Last year pulsar, 37-07, and 86g32 were my most tolerant varieties. Not sure what next year will hold, but as a scout I hate these sca's. I also fear what we will do in years where milo is only making 50-80 bpa instead of 100+ at $2.50.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)