AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reloading equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ProtonStorm
Posted 10/11/2016 09:29 (#5575417 - in reply to #5572806)
Subject: RE: Reloading equipment

I have several Lee presses, and they work just fine. The Lee powder measures are also decent, as long as you have a consistent hand on the lever, which is pretty much true of any powder measure. I've had good luck with their dies, and I like the fact that their die sets come with the shell holder, while most other manufacturers make you buy it separately. I also like their factory crimp dies.

As others have said, their scale is junk. Do yourself a favor and get a digital scale to start with. It will make your life so much easier. I have a Hornady digital scale and a Lyman balance beam scale, and I try to use the Hornady whenever I can (The Lyman has a larger capacity, so I usually only use it when checking shot weights for shotshells). I also don't like Lee's case trimming tools, though others swear by them. I can't seem to get a true, consistent cut out of mine, so I use a Lyman trimmer.

You should have a good load book on hand. I use the Lyman book, and cross reference from IMR's reloading data center website. Trail Boss is easy to load with, but I'm sure you'll want to move past it in time.

I use a Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler with walnut media to tumble my cases. Gets my cases clean enough for me, and wasn't too expensive. I think tumblers and cleaners are a matter of personal preference, so use whatever you find does the best job.

The rabbit hole of reloading equipment is a deep one; but in general I've found that most of Lee's equipment is quite servicable, and that which isn't is easily replaced. The more important thing I've found is developing a consistent hand, and an eye for detail. The Lee equipment will let you do that on a budget.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)