AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blowback directed toward news and weather TV for the wild overkill regarding the hurricance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

00rooster
Posted 10/8/2016 09:25 (#5570419)
Subject: Blowback directed toward news and weather TV for the wild overkill regarding the hurricance?

Several years ago the local TV stations would go on-and-on regarding every thunderstorm, snowstorm and possible severe weather event for hours on end. They would cut into regular programming endlessly to give constant updates making it impossible to actually watch the program that you wanted to. And it wasn't a little scrolling banner at the bottom of the screen, it was completely removing the programming for the radar updates.

I wonder if their was significant blowback on this behavior because it doesn't happen like that anymore(not around here anyhow), Now they only interrupt for a few seconds and it has to be pretty serious. Maybe they put a small crawl at the bottom of the screen, or a small radar picture in a corner. It doesn't overtake the programming for the 99% of their viewers who aren't in the affected area.

Contrast that to what you were treated to this week on the Cable news networks, The Weather channel, and various local stations in the area. Morons like Shep Smith who IMO has no business being employed as a serious individual at this point. If you haven't seen the clip of what he said.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/07/shepard-smith-hurricane-matthew/

If you don't/can't watch the video, it basically says:   and this hurricane hits you, you will die, your kids will die, everyone will die.  There is no chance to survive...its not possible.

It was clearly outrageous, and I'm just curious why this type of behavior isn't admonished by the public.  While it was clearly a serious storm, most people in the US are adept at dealing and preparing for them.  Not like Haiti where there is barely any shelter and given shacks can barely stand up the blowing debris is likely what killed most of them.  While I might not stick around if I were below sea level, or right on the shore I suspect most people ride them out with little trouble.

Why is this kinds of overexaggeration and fear mongering okay.....but if you try to warn about other....ummmm.....political threats, or warnings about dangers from certain groups of people, you are inciting fear?  It would NEVER be accepted. Isn't the parable of Crying Wolf a well known story?  Its amazing how a story that old maintains its relevance in the modern era....while we've advanced technologically .....human behavior doesn't change. 

As a philosophical point, it makes me realize that all the horrors that we read about in history will happen again......because humans haven't really changed.  If you think its not possible in a modern day world....it certainly is.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)