AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Southeast cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Howdyjabo
Posted 10/5/2016 10:10 (#5565021 - in reply to #5564963)
Subject: RE: Southeast cattle

NC
This is a copy of a post I wrote for----- Hand Feeding Kentucky yearlings
I wanted to say some of the same things here.
___________________________________________________________________________________

There is a good system in place for Southeastern cattle.
But it only works if preconditioned calves are bought as a load to be shipped out.

The individual famers selling small groups can't precondition their calves and get paid for it. Because even if they are preconditioned; its of little value when you comingle 60 + head from 20 different places. It probably doesn't even pay if you comingle from just 5 places. Those calves are going to have trouble.

The backgrounders are the link that can make southeastern calves work . We know what is needed to make them work, we know how to minimize the trouble from co mingling. We are small enough to handle the calves in a way to limit trouble. We sell loads constantly- so we need to have a good reputation. The calves we sell have been through hell and back and are toughened and ready to gain. AND all the poor doers have already been eliminated. They are as good as any load from anywhere.

All of the good backgrounders that I know sell on the video sales. There is Southeast exchange, one in Tenn and MAC video sale that I know of. I am sure there are others.

As for the guy that sold a load of YEARLINGS that were not bunk broke- shame on him. But that is why you should be looking for reputation calves. And I know that if that guy had wanted to put those calves on a video sale he would have been told that he needed to bunk break them. The video sales need to protect their reputation too.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)