AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your biggest missed opportunity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/5/2016 01:20 (#5564568 - in reply to #5563659)
Subject: RE: Your biggest missed opportunity

West Union, Illinois
"if you could have seen into the future and picked one deal you would have jumped on what would it be?"

I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Mistakes, missed opportunities, things I could have done different or better. Bought this ground ... Or not bought that ground. ( I could have bought 80 irrigated acres adjoining us for less than the irrigator costs today.) Got in this or that business deal. (I had the contract in my hand to be the first independent cell phone agent in a 9 county RSA and didn't take it. At the time they cost $1600 and were the size of a lunch bucket. Nobody saw the technological advance or explosion in demand.). But you know, my biggest regret has nothing to do with buying or selling. My biggest regret has nothing to do with finances.

I had left the farm. We were not large enough to feed all the mouths needing fed and I took full time off farm employment. I struggled through 4 different sales and service jobs (having your employer file bankruptcy the day before you get a big commission check educates you rapidly) I ended up working for a friend. If my brother had not gotten out of farming and I bought him out I would still be there. Anyway I'm wondering off topic.

The friend I was working for Was a committed, active Christian. Had been since high school. He was in his church's leadership and doing good. He and I were talking one day after everyone else had left and he admitted becoming involved with another woman. She was a divorcee in his church and it started with his helping her with the best of intentions. He eventually left his wife and family to marry her. It cost him half his business and really messed up the relationship with his children and his parents and his siblings.

My biggest regret was not seeing it coming and doing something about it.

Could I have done anything to prevent it? It was his choice. He's the one who messed up. But I have to wonder if I could have seen into the future at the right time, could I have kept him on the "straight and narrow"?

I'm not being arrogant when I say I think I could have. But it also been a lesson to me to be very very careful and not let my good intentions lead me the wrong direction.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)