AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

problem with $600 dollar calves today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Long legs lashank
Posted 10/3/2016 20:39 (#5562374)
Subject: problem with $600 dollar calves today

Central Illinois
I think a big part of the problem with $600 calves today vs. 8 years ago is health insurance cost. I'd say a guy is doing well to raise a calf to sell and net $100 per calf at these prices. I know there are guys on here who seem to be able make money with their cows no matter what but if I netted $100 per cow right now after feed, equipment, and everything else that goes with them I'd consider that a success, the problem is it would take the profit from 120 calves to pay one families health insurance bill! Now take a farm like ours with 3 families trying to survive and it takes the profit from 360 cows just to cover health insurance! I know there are guys in "cow country". That use horses instead of 4 wheelers so they can raise calves a lot cheaper than we can, maybe they net $200 with $600 calves but it still takes the profit from 60 calves to pay the health insurance bill alone. And from what I hear that health insurance bill is gonna be higher this year than last, I think we've got some serious problems with non farm costs compared to a few years ago
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)