AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn silage yield.....the yield was
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 10/3/2016 10:26 (#5561550 - in reply to #5561130)
Subject: RE: Corn silage yield.....the yield was

nw NC
In response to garvo... Considering that the corn had only 7.5 inches of rainfall and no rain from July 4th until Aug. 1 AND the lay by Nitrogen was applied July 5 & 6 so it had no rainfall to put it into the soil; well, yes I have to say that I am satisfied with that. The last rain before chopping that corn was about three weeks earlier , so no doubt the stalk moisture content was dropping fast. There was little sap to be squeezed from the stalk pith. I'm estimating from experience that moisture content was 64-65 %.

Info I read says that in order to increase moisture content of dry corn silage by 1%, add 7 gallons water ( weighing 58.38 Lbs.) to a ton of silage . So, if corn had been chopped at 68-69% moisture, one can assume that the volume harvested ( which weighed 17.757 ) tons would have naturally contained 233.52 ( 4 X 58.38 lbs.) lbs more weight of moisture to each volume which weighed a ton. ( The additional moisture would not increase the volume as it would be in the stalk pith and leaf material.) So, the total additional moisture would add 4,146.833 lbs ( 17.757 X 233.52 ) to the volume. Volume which first weighed 35,515.879 lbs,/acre now weighs 39,662.71 lbs. ( 19.831 tons acre). A little more moisture in it and it would be 20 ton/acre corn.

The corn that was pictured was the best that I had this year. Another small field at the other side of the farm made maybe 10 tons/acre , possibly could have been 30 - 35 bushels grain yield.

Edited by WJKEIGER 10/3/2016 11:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)