AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Removing horse race track to make workable land?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Luke Skywalker
Posted 9/29/2016 19:01 (#5555651 - in reply to #5555504)
Subject: RE: Removing horse race track to make workable land?

Arva, Ontario

There's been a bunch removed around me, been involved personally in 2.

First, where did the topsoil that got stripped go. If it was rolled rolled out of the way, track built, then graded back up to the track, you're in luck. If it was trucked away, it will get more spendy. If this is the case, a good operator with a small dozer with a 6 way can peel it back and salvage it to be re-laid after the track material is out.

Second, it will be a couple days with an excavator and dump trucks to get it removed. Have a place to take it. It wont likely be anything you can use anywhere else for fill. Locally, it was usually "chips & dust", nothing too 'boney' in the bottom because it wasn't holding up much weight. It packs well and sheds water when you put a bunch of grade on it. When reclaimed though, if it has a little dirt in it, I'm not sure where you'd use it on the farm.

After the track material is out and profiled back to original grade, make sure the tile drainage wasn't damaged by the removal, then plant some covers or plaster it with solid manure to help it back on its feet.

Doesn't help that I refer to a horse as "dog food unprocessed"...

Ken

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)