AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Millennials again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sand85
Posted 9/25/2016 11:19 (#5547947 - in reply to #5547454)
Subject: RE: Millennials again

C IL
The audience for that commercial probably isn't the typical young professional stereotype of the past you may be picturing - someone who has a stable 40-hr 9-5 job (factory, office, whatever) and starts a family in their early 20's.

It is probably someone scrambling to make ends meet with a partial college degree, tuition debt, and the inability to break into a stable job market due to lack of jobs, employers hiring part-time workers to avoid ACA mandates, and also, it is fair to say, attitude of 20-something adolescence and possibly lack of marketable skills, although from what I gather in the past these were often provided to entry-level hires via internal training programs.

Once these 'millennials' reach the stable job market stage (may be in their 30's) a more typical tenure at a position is 5-7 years. Then you leave to climb, since that is often difficult to do internally. And, the Internet makes it easier to see other opportunities than in the past when you didn't have a way to see what jobs were 100 miles away without getting that local newspaper.

In fairness to the original post about 1.33 years, in 5.5 years at my first job out of grad school, I worked in three different locations (multi-hour moves) and it likely would have been a fourth by the time year 6 rolled around, although I probably could have stayed in that next position for 10+ years had I desired. Moves were by strong-arm or strongly encouraged.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)