AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How'd you make your first million?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 9/25/2016 00:13 (#5547326 - in reply to #5546182)
Subject: RE: How'd you make your first million?

Rivers, MB
Dale

You are right to an extent. The genetic lottery as you call it has a large impact as to the likelihood that the farm will succeed and continue to build wealth. The critical mass of a farm that the previous generation builds makes it much easier to continue to grow.

I'm 3rd generation on this farm in my family. So I'm in that camp. I think I fully recognize the benefits of the farm that I've walked into.

I would like to put a few thoughts out there that might challenge a few of your points.

Not all farmers are good farmers. I don't know of an area that doesn't have farms that are struggling because of mismanagement. And it doesn't matter whether they won the lottery or not.

I would suggest that those that won the genetic lottery don't have it as easy as you suggest. I'm in no way suggesting that it's as difficult as starting from nothing. But it's often not the free ride you imagine it is.

Many of those that won the lottery really admire those that started from nothing and have made a go of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)