AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How'd you make your first million?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 9/24/2016 09:41 (#5546182 - in reply to #5546098)
Subject: RE: How'd you make your first million?

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!

In farming, it usually is related to the genetic lottery. Some win, some lose. Some get given land and first year inputs, some have to re buy family land for the fourth time.

It is the ONLY thing that separates the "good" farmers from those who struggle in our community and area. We are all good farmers. Just that some were blessed with fortunate grandparents, or not having to re buy everything, long paid for land makes a world of difference. Lots of guys rode dads credit for inputs in year one, something I can not even imagine.

Those of us who did not win the lottery, can actually see this. The ones who won the genetic lotto, usually have no idea what I am talking about, and are completely oblivious as to how a guy could possibly struggle in farming. They make comments about the rest of us like we are lesser citizens. Like reverse BTO itis.

Just the way it is. Hard work, bla bla bla. I work hard, but I can not come close to the success of a neighbor who works less, but had 1000 acres given to him. Or the guy who had the fortune that his parents sealed up some land deals in the 60's, enabling him to have a good land base to start from rather than trying to find a land base in the first place.

So you make your millions in most cases by who you were born to. In Canada for example, if you were born into a dairy family, you are kind of set for life at birth, if you have any initiative at all. The rest of us just kind of watch and keep working. I have a neighbor who inherited 1000 acres. Never bought an acre in his life. He is a very good farmer, great guy, and so on. He DOES realize he was blessed. But it would be pretty easy to farm as well as he does, when you had that kind of a start.

Just the way it is. No jealousy here, just the way it is. The thing I find most difficult though, is when the genetic winners say they did it all on their own, are oblivious or un-thankful for their blessings, or look down on the genetic losers like we are somehow not up to par. 

It is a sperm and egg thing in most cases these days. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)