AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting Winter Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

littlejoe
Posted 9/17/2016 13:47 (#5534086 - in reply to #5532675)
Subject: RE: Planting Winter Wheat

Big Sky Country
Dodgefarmboy - 9/16/2016 18:07

Looks good! Are you putting any fertilizer down as well?

I wonder what others do, too.

I'm seeding Willow creek on irrigated land. And just picked up a tad of triticale to compare.

using 10-40-0-10-1 meant to add 10 of potash and forgot and too late now, they just delivered it.

we seem to get good response to sulpher---very heavy clay soil. and the pound of zinc was suggested.

got about 5 round bales per acre same ground this yr. One flood irrigation and a little rain. Did stream on maybe 30 units N. Scared of nitrates. It was about 5' tall. Could of been thicker. Think I seeded 80#. doing 100 this time.

I also added a gallon or so of liquid fert to my spray mix. Didn't hurt the winter wheat, really knowcked the hay barley. Very obvious as I ran out and last load didn't have any. It did eventually even out. this was under pivot. Sure makes chemical work!---probably could have cut chemical back and spent that $ on the fert.

Will do the N earlier next yr. And gonna leave drills up there, they gotta sit somewhere. Thinking about seeding a few peas on top of this in the spring, depending on how it looks---and what's available to keep it clean that I can seed alfalfa after.

7" spacing haybuster 107's. Field was old grass alf grass quackgass creeping jenny dandelions. Still has not been farmed, just R.U. About 3rd yr. Seems to stay way cleaner than when I farm, guess not disturb weed seeds?

Haybuster had dinky little bearings on feed metering shaft---2" with 11/4 i.d. About a $6 bearing that they want about $66 for---being the only one in the whirld in possession of said bearing.

I gave up looking, fabricated some bushings out of that man made plastic wonder product---2" round stock. Should be way better deal, no corrode and no seize up, We'll see.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)