AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long term lease
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 9/13/2016 19:53 (#5527129 - in reply to #5526820)
Subject: RE: Long term lease

East Central, Nebraska
its tough to accomplish what you want. i currently rent some irrigated land that was flood irrigated in the past, the nrd and myself wanted to make the move to pivots. the landlord did not want to invest the money, so i told them i would buy them and give them to them if i could get a long term lease.

i got a 10 year lease about 10 years ago and every year we make adjustments to it and sign a new one. the good part is me and the landlord get along good and are out to help eachother out as best as we can. i could have took the lease ten years ago and ran with it and made some money but i am guessing i would not be farming it today, just the same the landlord could have took the agreement we had a few years ago and ran with it and i would be in deep crap for alot of years.

flex leases don't flex enough, share cropping is ideal but a pain for everyone involved and restricts your freedom to do what you want, i have tried giving the landlord x number of bushels which would reflect the grain market but did not work, cash rent is really the only way i want to do it but you have to make changes often to keep everyone involved happy. if you have to have it all down on paper then do so, put in the agreement that the rent can be adjusted (yearly or every 5, or whatever you want) maybe put in the agreement that it cannot change one way or the other more than a certain percent. i have tried a bunch of stuff, its hard to make one lease work for that long.

had somewhat good luck using the county averages every year from the usda, though they seem way too high now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)