AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Conventional corn market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 9/12/2016 21:19 (#5525460 - in reply to #5524127)
Subject: RE: Conventional corn market

Here the CGB gmo tolerance is only 3.5 ppm in non-gmo corn. A lot of the non-gmo seed corn sold is higher than that, and the seed corn ppm will carry through to its progeny. So first thing you need to know is what ppm gmo you non-gmo seed has. Some seed companies don't want to talk about trying for anything less than 1% and/or don't know/care with their non gmo corn seed, so that doesn't come close to working here.
Other seed companies go to the extra effort to produce cleaner non-gmo seed, and their dealers often can quote exactly where their seed is at ppm wise.
Except for the end rows next to gmo corn, usually the rest of the non-gmo field will only pick up about 0.5 ppm gmo from neighboring gmo pollen. So if you find corn seed 2.5 ppm or less gmo contaminated, that's a good place to start. From my experience, if I start with 2.5 ppm seed corn, I will pass the 3.5 ppm test close to 100% of the time.
Non-gmo seed that has other gmo versions of the same variety more often have higher contamination levels, but not always. You can take the seed and have it tested for it's gmo ppm. My elevator does it for free, and it's accurate. Finding non-gmo varieties that don't have gmo versions usually have lower levels, but I'd want to know exactly what each lot has before planting.
This year I went 100% gmo, as the premium has continued to drop and I get thru the elevator much faster than the non-gmo line, don't have corn borer worries, and can have higher potential yield except in a drought year, where non-gmo can yield higher than stacked as it takes energy to produce gmo protiens.
Just my experience, which is somewhat nauseating, and opinions, which are even more nauseating.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)