AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sugar Beets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cah
Posted 12/29/2008 15:12 (#550107)
Subject: Sugar Beets

Western Nebraska
I'm sure there are those of us on this site, that are in co-ops, and helped form co-op's of one form or another, who are on "boards of directors" who know that there are always two sides to every story. Things aren't always as they seem.
I'm a fourth generation farmer/rancher who believes in my future on the land, as well as my families future in agriculture, including my ownership in several co-ops like Western Sugar. I fully understood my commitment to the co-op from the start and expect to be growing beets to the best of my ability for many years to come. I didn't bite off more than I can chew. This co-op is managed by a board of growers who are in the same boat as I am with other commodities being possibly higher profit than beets.
To each his own. Live and let live.
May the future be brighter than today.
This co-op is not perfect, but improving.
www.westernsugar.com (credible website)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 15:59 (#550146 - in reply to #550107)
Subject: Re: Sugar Beets

Huntley Montana
Lot's of differances in differant areas. Ground here doesn't change hands much. Limited areas along river bottoms that are Irrigated. In the last 6-7 yrs I've lost 7-800 a due to the housing market. Kinda hard to keep/buy ground when the landlords can sell it for up to $200,000& PER acre. I don't raise corn. I was using Barley as a rotation with the beets. All My Hay ground has had RAPTOR applyed to it for weed control the seeding year.
What we were told when we were being sold on the COOP idea & what has been going on the last 2 yrs is a totally differant story. When I go to the 2008 Annual Meeting & get told as I'm going into the meeting by the president of the Mountian States Beet growers Ass. , "we have been friends for a long time, but if you say anything in the meeting I will not be your friend anymore" This was a fellow I went to school with, sold him his 1st tractor, Had just hauled a backhoe he bought at a auction home for him. Then I was told that he had been told it "was his job to shut me up" by a director. I thought he was 1 of 5 friends, guess I was wrong.
The reason I want away from the western sugar coop is I'm tired of being lied to. I've gave away most of the shares & will give away the rest to ANYONE that wants them. I liked raising beets, it is the only crop I raised that I'm not alergic to. I'd raise beets again, but not under the current managememt.
Your right about the COOP not being perfect, but it's not improving. When they try to MINE the life savings of Widows, Retired Farmers, & Others that have no way of raising beets that happen to still own shares that were sold " as a good investment for your retirement" .

truthaboutwesternsugar.com (credible website also) They don't serve KOOLAID or sing KOOMBIA.
iseedit
Posted 12/29/2008 19:22 (#550346 - in reply to #550146)

central - east central Minnesota -

Not sure on the reason for the post pertaining to Western Sugar - but Coop's have board of directors - is it time for a new board or new members for the board? Nothing worse then a board that isn't knowledgable and afraid to make changes to make/get returns on the investment . . . . .

As mentioned, there is info for both sides to be considered. I just so happen to not have much time for inapt members on a board . . . .

Edit: Not trying to raise any hairs on the back of anyone's neck . . . . or blood pressures.

Edited by iseedit 12/29/2008 19:50
cah
Posted 12/29/2008 20:16 (#550424 - in reply to #550346)

Western Nebraska
The reasons for the post were two-fold.
1) Western Sugar Cooperative- more to the story than has been posted on this site.
2) Cooperatives in general- There are co-ops rated "great" on down to "bankrupt and history".
A bad experience doesn't make the concept or idea mute.
It's too bad the people who read this forum weren't able to hear our complaining before the company became a cooperative.
If it were still owned by the previous company, I'd be gone myself.
cah
Posted 12/29/2008 21:42 (#550546 - in reply to #550424)

Western Nebraska
I understand your feelings about the sales of assets. But are the assets that have been sold something that we as a company need/want? Would it be good business to sell what you don't need for good money to pay down debt? I don't have knowledge of sales to those within the company...can you elaborate? As for "not hearing about these sales until they are final", in my experience with deals and companies, the company will make those wanting to negotiate, sign papers stating that discussions will be kept between the two parties ONLY. Common sense and O.K. with me.
I guess I'm under the impression that everything that the company has, that is not currently being used, and won't be needed in the future, is for sale. As long as everything has been done ethically, legally and the money has been put in OUR account, I think I'm O.K. with that.
Anyone is eligible to make an offer.
It would be of benefit to all members to make the annual meeting. Ask these questions of those who are responsible for making them. Don't listen to rumors. To cry and moan at the coffee shop, rather than to the board is mute.
Better yet get on the board.
sugarbeet
Posted 12/29/2008 21:56 (#550566 - in reply to #550546)

Here's a third party perspective of the situation out west. We here in the RRV have heard about the lawsuits by some individuals against their own coop and having to raise beets. We here are also OBLIGATED to grow beets with the shares we own but if you can't or won't raise them because other crops MAY produce higher returns then it's up to YOU to either rent or sell you shares. Yes we have a larger area here to get those shares moved around and planted so I don't know what kind of land mass they are dealing with out west. If things are so bad those that are making noise now maybe should have been more involved with what was going on in past years.
cah
Posted 12/29/2008 22:02 (#550576 - in reply to #550566)

Western Nebraska
Thank-you.
I've heard in your area, the fines for not growing are something like $75/acre...is that correct?
supercub
Posted 12/29/2008 22:20 (#550606 - in reply to #550576)

SC Montana where General Custer should've stopped
Is it true that if you are a Western Grower and don't produce the acres of allotment you bought into then the fine is $380 per acre, Wow , that is harsh.
cah
Posted 12/29/2008 22:28 (#550626 - in reply to #550606)

Western Nebraska
That's what I've heard, but I've also heard that there has never been a dime collected. I haven't seen the books, nor have I asked to do so yet, so I can't say for sure. I'm sure it is at board disgretion.
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 22:49 (#550662 - in reply to #550626)

Huntley Montana
Board discreation, BS. The only reason they allow for not planting is NO WATER. They did give the widows 2 yrs from the death of thier husband without a fine. They don't care if you lost your leases, or the bank turned your loan down, or your health is poor. Inder demands the money.
cah
Posted 12/29/2008 22:59 (#550675 - in reply to #550662)

Western Nebraska
Have you ever heard of the amount collected from penalties?
Is this amount itemized when they present financial info at the annual meeting?
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 23:18 (#550711 - in reply to #550675)

Huntley Montana
THey haven't collected much. They have 11 lawsuits filed from 2007. Most are not paying untill it goes to court. I know 1 fellow that may have to declare chapter 7 as he lost his leases when the place sold the fall of 06 & couldn't find any other land to rent. His wife filed for divorce this summer (08). Have you heard about the $100,000 PR campaine? Might be itemized at the 2009 annual meeting. I won't be there as I will not be a member anymore. I've gave away 600& shares the last month & have less than 200 left that anyone can have FREE.
I paid as much as $200 a share & equidies last spring to get rid of shares.
I am walking away from a lot of money because I dissagree with how the COOP is being run. I liked raising beets, befor it become a COOP I made good money. After we bought it I haven't made much from Beets.
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 23:21 (#550718 - in reply to #550675)

Huntley Montana
I just got confirmation of 2 fines taken out of Beet checks. 1 for $25,000 & 1 for $175,000.
sugarbeet
Posted 12/29/2008 23:23 (#550722 - in reply to #550576)

Not sure on the number but I know it's not 75. I thinks it's avg tons per acre times operating cost which this year would be around 775/acre
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 23:33 (#550734 - in reply to #550722)

Huntley Montana
I think your a little high. I'd heard Chystal wants $400 a share. BUT at least in the RRV your share can be sold or rented out. Here you couldn't even give them away last spring with the unit retains & dividends. The last I got rid of last spring I had to add $200 a share to get the fellow to take them . I have heard of shareholders paying up to $200 a share to get someone to raise thier shares. & the Board likes that idea as " it makes the beet grower more profitable"
sugarbeet
Posted 12/29/2008 23:36 (#550742 - in reply to #550734)

I'm pretty sure on the number because if you don't grow them and I do then my operating cost goes up so we all share the operating expense and that's why last spring many people panicked and dumped their shares at a low price so they wouldn't get hit with a penalty.
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 23:50 (#550759 - in reply to #550742)

Huntley Montana
But at least you could get rid of them. I couldn't even get rid of these shares offering oney also.
When Tate & Lyle owned the company they split the sugar 60% to the farmers & they got 40% for making the sugar & selling it. advrage Grossed about 1200-1300 acre. Farmers got $720-780 per acre adv & Tate & Lyle got the rest. They paid most of the frieght from the pilers, paid all the energy costs, paid all the help, Taxes, ect & made 10% or more on thier investment. So thier share was $480-520 a acre befor they paid for anything. I'd say AC probley is about the same.
I wouldn't mind a reasonable cost, but to come up with the #'s Western has is way out of line. I didn't gross as much a acre in 07 as they want as a fine.
KJ-MT
Posted 12/29/2008 23:57 (#550773 - in reply to #550742)

Eastern Montana
Your fine for not growing an acre/share is $775 an acre? Is that fine per share not grown or per acre, depending on the year some years it can be 5% less that a share is allowed ot plant. Mindak was rumored to be around 385 last year and western was about the same. Can you explain why American Crystal is 2.5 times the others fine? Also what operating costs do they base it on, im just curious how they get that number, are they saying that it costs 775 to operate the factory be acre or is it the farmers opperating cost? I have never heard a crystal per acre amt exactly.... Guess i have another question to ask the board the next time they grace our annual meeting of their Sidney Sugars Inc.
Badger
Posted 12/29/2008 22:21 (#550608 - in reply to #550546)

Huntley Montana
I went to the annual meeting in Jan 2008. Was told as I walked in that I was not to say anything by a fellow I thought was a friend. He did it so I couldn't think about it knowing it would upset me so bad that IF I said much that I would come off as a rant. I AM the fellow that told the room & Board that they could have The common share, the perfered shares, the Unit retains, the unpaid dividends, & the unpaid beet checks & Badger Farms & The Western Sugar Coop would not have any more business together AFTER the BS of 2007.
I also was there in 2007 when the board said the penaltys would be on a "case by case basis".
I don't want the Western Sugar Coop to fail, But I refuse to deal with the BS that is going on. I didn't buy in to specalate, I bought in to keep Beets in the area. I was one of the first to buy in. I bought enough shares so I didn't have to waste time trying to find shares if I needed more some years. I spent 6 years paying for those shares. But after what the Board & management have done to me & others I want NOTHING to do with The Western Sugar COOP. We were told that there would be a "pool" for unneeded shares when we bought in, & "as long as you offered the shares to others there would never be a penalty". I would run for the board here, but I am not "in good standing with the Coop" as I refused to plant a beet this yr because of thier change to the agreement I signed.
rdpwr
Posted 12/30/2008 07:07 (#550935 - in reply to #550608)

We got a flyer in the mail directing us to this site. www.truthaboutwesternsugar.com
cah
Posted 12/30/2008 08:00 (#550970 - in reply to #550935)

Western Nebraska
All members did. I wonder how they got the addresses? Did you notice there is no contact info or persons responsible for the website or it's content?
Badger
Posted 12/30/2008 08:56 (#551009 - in reply to #550970)

Huntley Montana
Maybe they don't want the knife in the back like I got at Casper. I'm sure that a few board members would try to lease thier ground out from under them if they knewfor sure . The information age is going to slow down a lot of "antics" by Companys that try to "divide & concur". Western Sugar would like everyone to belive that " your the only one with a problem" They don't want the growers with problems to be able to get together & be able to finance a viable defense against the COOP. They want to be able to BULLY each grower with thier high priced attorney's on a case by case basis. There like the goverment, they've got all of the Stockholders money to fight you. I don't think members should be allowed to jump in & out. But there needs to be a way out. I OFFERED at the ANNUAL MEETING to LEAVE everything they had of my corp behind because I have lost faith that the COOP is headed in the right way. I placed a OFFER of between $500,000 to a $1,000,000 on the table to get out. ( $225,000& unit retains, $100,000& Dividends, $100,000& in unpaid Beet checks, & whatever the 1100 shares of stock would be worth. On what we paid for the CO, they should have a salvage value of $600-700 a share) The Western Sugar COOP is $pending $100,000 of the growers money on a PR campain trying to "put lipstick on a pig" . They refuse to allow anyone out of the slave ship, because they are afraid that the rest will leave also. IF the COOP is such a good deal, get rid of the "Trouble Makers" that are willing to leave their Stock, unit retains, & unpaid Dividends behind. Quit trying to MINE the retiree's & widow's life savings. IF I'd known when this COOP was getting started how they were going to treat the stockholders with problems, I'd never wasted my money. The Problem is that the CEO is on a power trip & is controlling the board. He's not concerned with the long term, just his term. The board has drank his KOOLAID & SANG his SONG too long.  The stockholders should only allow 2 terms to any board member.   I admit I drank the KOOLAID & sang the COOP's song longer than I should have. BUT befor 2007 there was NO PENALTY on owning shares other than the payment on those shares.

Edited by Badger 12/30/2008 09:05
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)