AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poor Condition Ground & Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 8/31/2016 18:01 (#5501781)
Subject: Poor Condition Ground & Alfalfa

SW “Ohia”
Hello all,

Recently picked up a bit of rolling ground, which is unusual compared to our typical poorly drained clay. Unfortunately, this field impossible to access with a combine so grain is not practical. I have been wanting to grow some alfalfa but have never had a well drained spot to do it.

Field has not been maintained. It was last used for tobacco about 25 years ago. Since then, it has been left to the weeds and assorted grasses. Sometimes it would get baled off for hay, others it would be bush hogged. The soil test is below and I would really like some input from the smarter folks here. I have access to as much gypsum as I want. Our local lime supply is calcitic--I have to get dolomitic lime from a quarry quite a ways away. The handwriting on the bottom of the page is my fertilizer supplier's recommendation.

Really need to work and level the field before doing much. It is rough and full of old deadfurrows that were never closed.

My thoughts: this coming spring I will moldboard and work it, then drill 15-18# of alfalfa with 6-7# of orchardgrass and a bushel of oats. Not extremely familiar with alfalfa; is a leafhopper resistant variety worth the additional expense? Our local farm shops all sell Persist orchardgrass but that is early maturing and typically mixed with Red Clover. Should I spring apply fertilizer or do it this fall. Spray/chemical plan recommendations?

I have this ground on a long term written contract so I am not afraid to do it right. Maybe I should just drill red clover/orchardgrass like we always do?

Edited by Red Paint 8/31/2016 18:31

(Scanned Soil Test.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Scanned Soil Test.jpg (141KB - 186 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)