AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Dicamba disaster
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 8/30/2016 17:11 (#5499797 - in reply to #5499625)
Subject: RE: New Dicamba disaster

Glenwood, Mn

We are pushing 4.5 tons/acre this year on our early varieties.  It's $2,000 ton this year for that crop.  Gross is $9k/acre.  If one were to own a winery, and make wine of that the applicator would be responsible for the lost revenue.  Gross or net I am not sure.  4.5 tons of decent wine grapes will make about 3400 bottles of wine.  At an average selling price in MN of $15/bottle it's about $50k/acre retail.  I don't know if one has to pay for the whole lost production or just the lost net (figure about $6/bottle production cost or $30k net/acre).

That's why you are seeing vineyards pop up everywhere up here (MN, IA, WI). 

Dicamba drift is a real risk.  The reason no one ever griped about Status and the like for corn is because that's typically applied early because of issues in stalk integrity if getting near max label height.  What that meant was cool weather, moisture and most importantly, the vines were still dormant.  Now with "in season" application in hot, humid weather while the vines are actively growing it's a much, much larger issue.

FWIW, I farm within 20 ft. of ours with GMO corn/soy rotation.  As long as you are using your noggin you can get by just fine.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=633434&posts=12&highlight=grapes&highlightmode=1#M5310146

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)