AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is "premium" gasoline a better purchase than regular?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jersey Jim
Posted 12/26/2008 16:48 (#547577 - in reply to #547224)
Subject: RE: Is "premium" gasoline a better purchase than regular?

I am not sure of the science but I will share 2 experiences I had. Several years ago I used my 1983 Chevy K2500 4 wheel drive with a carburated 350 engine and a 16ft bumper pull livestock trailer to take a feed auger from a grain head to get repaired. It was about 90 miles one way over mostly flat land. Going I had filled the truck with regular gas. It knocked anytime I got close to 60 and I averaged 8 miles per gallon. I filled the truck with premium for the trip home, again with the auger, and averaged 9 miles per gallon. I could run 60. The engine would just slighly ping at 65.

The 2nd experience was using a 2004 Ford Tarus with a 4 cylinder motor. I was working for the USDA after I sold the dairy. I traveled about 100 to 150 miles per day. I tried this several times. In the summer I used premium for a fillup and tracked the mileage. There was no change to speak of in miles per gallon premiuim vs regular gas. However in the winter, there was enough improvement in mileage to pay for the increased cost. There were a few stations that the difference was $.15 per gallon. That paid for increased gas cost and left a little bit extra. If the cost difference is $.20, that did not pay for the increase in gas cost. It seemed like the car engine started better when it was cold on premium.

Sorry for the long answer but wanted to share my experience.

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)