AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4420 Q's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FFJR
Posted 12/25/2008 09:23 (#546555)
Subject: 4420 Q's

nc IA
Merry Christmas,

Looking at combines for this next year, and a opportunity may be arising to purchase a 4420 Deere from someone I know quite well (good history <3000hrs). Would work for what I have now - but just wondering a few things:

Anyone know what the auger discharge clearance height is on these? - Looking to dump into a 450-500 bu single auger cart (JM / JD 500 / Brent 420) - and at times on the go as help is available.

Also wondering about grain tank capacity - See that they were factory "stock" at 102 bu - but I see photos of them with either a single "factory" screen grain tank "side board" in that 12-18" range, but then I see quite a few other ones with a "double" screen side board - which looks very original as well - those being about level with the top of the cab - SO - did they change specs - or did alot of people just put on the second screen on their own - and if so - what sort of capacity would that end up being?

Reason is - when extra help isn't around I would be looking at quite a bit of 1/2 mile long rows - park the cart at one end and a hopper bottom at the other. Ran 170bu this year - so I figure around 110 bu capacity would be a minimum... but 130 +/- would be nice (443 4r30head)

Know the 4420 is a bit small - but would work for now until more acres are added in the upcoming years then could sell/trade for a late 1480 / early 1680. Thinking I would be in this for under 12K with both heads and after doing some work to a 443. From what I've been seeing listed the 1480 will run about that for the combine alone then add the heads yet plus work on them. I consider it a priority to have a decent head - eg: rebuild with calmar parts & polytin - alot cheaper to do on a 4 row vs 8!!! Main reason for considering is knowing the history on this - and it's still sheaded / always has been. - Get real leary of the older combines that don't warrent shed space inside at a dealership - and they've been there over a winter or 2...

T.I.A. for any info
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)