AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White mold anyone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 8/7/2016 19:49 (#5456504 - in reply to #5456405)
Subject: RE: White mold anyone?

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

I have a field that has a tendency to have white mold problems.  It's an irrigated field.  Which obviously is going to put the crop at more risk for white mold. 

This year I decided to be a little more proactive with my efforts to head off white mold.   I did an application of 1 pound of Topsin at R1.  Topsin isn't the highest rated fungicide for white mold.  But it does have a "fair" rating, and is reasonably priced with generics.  Besides, I planned to follow it up with Aproach, which has a better rating for white mold.  I did an application of Aproach at 9 oz. per acre about 10 days after the Topsin application.  I will do another 9 oz. of Aproach 10 days after the first Aproach application. 

Endura I believe has the best rating for white mold control.  But it's expensive, least why's I think so.  I think it runs about 40 bucks an acre.  Personally, I think multiple applications gives the best chance of avoiding the most white mold problems.  I think 3 application of even Topsin would offer better control than one application of Endura.   I don't know that for a fact.  But I'm not the only person that has that opinion. 

My total cost on this will be about $45 in product cost.  Got to figure something for the cost of spraying too.  Not cheap, but based on past issues with white mold infections in this field, I'm confident I'll get my expenditures back with additional yield come harvest time. 

I turned the center boom off on one of my passes with the sprayer.  I will have done this for all three applications in the same spot.  I think it will be interesting to see what the difference will be between application and non-application.  I have already found some white mold in this non-sprayed area.  And I haven't found any white mold where I've done the spraying.  Can't say there isn't any in the sprayed area.... I just haven't seen any.

You might try using some Aproach yourself.  It has some systemic activity.  I would think it would be of benefit, even if you're already seeing some white mold.  I don't know that for sure, so I would check with a Dupont chemical rep. to be sure. 

good luck, gordon

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)