AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Things done to increase corn yield
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

frozenhead
Posted 8/7/2016 16:00 (#5456117)
Subject: Things done to increase corn yield

NW Iowa
My soil problems, shallow soil 2 to 3 feet, bad bulk density, low fertility, and a binding up of new fertilizer once applied. This gets you soil that will produce 160 to 180 bushel corn.
My thoughts were how can I grow 300 bushel. I have a 30k stand that's growing me 170 why can't I just add more food and get 300? The corn plant can do it! My soil problems would not allow it to happen. Not enough food available, not enough water, not enough air space in soil.

Since water is number 1 how was I going to irrigate. Looked like pivots is what everyone was using but farm shape just didn't work. Ran across dip tape some how, didn't think it would work but bought 2 rolls ran it down corn rows and ran it one summer. I was sold that fall on irrigation. What I did not realize is how it would solve my other soil problems at that time. First problem with drip tape, I had to pick that tape up I ran down rows. Too old, to fat, and to lazy for that kind of work! Then realized you could bury this stuff and just leave it. Now we are getting somewhere. Problem number 2 not enough food for plants, even when water is applied. My soil has a CEC of 15 and now can only grow 50 or so more bushels with water. My thought is it can only give up so much food and needs more. Well why can't I just run food down lines and feed it what soil can't! Now things are looking really good. Now for the last problem with my soil. Air space. Really no way to fix that. But wait why not run that oxygen down line to? Never could of done all this with a pivot so glad farm is oddly shaped!
So what I have done is artificially grow that extra 100 plus bushels. At this time I have no idea what the top end to this system is. I know it works and am now working on how to automate this system and run it from my iPad. Yea I'm lazy but would be nice to oversee everything at work.

As for the guys saying the cost to grow those bushels cost to much that isn't true. I came up with 1.22 for those extra bushels. Thats cost of fertilizer and electricity to run pumps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)