AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help educate me on increasing corn yields...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 8/7/2016 15:08 (#5456037 - in reply to #5455610)
Subject: RE: Help educate me on increasing corn yields...

mac4440 - 8/7/2016 10:16

You may be shooting for top yields in the corn, but I don't see how you are going to maximize your income by planting 1/3 of your acres in oats.......
Youre looking at it one dimensionally. Need to look at a long term rotation. Some of the extra corn revenue is attributed to the third small grain crop in the rotation. In time, weeds will be greatly diminished, and the use of soil insecticides not even needed anymore. What's that worth? Seed a companion crop of mammoth red clover with the oats, and much of the next years corn crop N needs are already provided, plus large amounts of organic matter being added, building soil. What's that worth? Part of the problem with a corn/bean strip intercrop system is the yield penalty for the beans negates much of the gain in the corn. By including the third small grain crop in the system, shading of the beans is halved, thereby the extra bean yield needs to be attributed to the small grain. My brother raised 120 bushel oats last year and had them contracted for 4bucks a bushel. How much money you think he lost on that? Read Dixonmans post below, and he is exactly right.Do you think the price of corn would have a nice little uptick if everybody did what I'm promoting, and plant a third of their acres to small grains? It would be highly beneficial to the environment also.

Edited by Boone & Crockett 8/7/2016 15:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)