AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Crop Tour & Who Was I Near
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 8/7/2016 08:47 (#5455417)
Subject: My Crop Tour & Who Was I Near

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
Just got back from vacation.

Wife and I left home and drove I-70 to Indianapolis and took I-74 up through Illinois into Iowa.

Took some local roads across to Sigourney Iowa and stopped at the Dumont Museum.

Want to throw out a big thank you to Frytown farmer. He had posted about this museum a while back and we had a great time there.

Anyway, from there we jumped on I-80 and headed west to I-76 at the Colorado border and followed it over to 34 which we took up to Estes Park.

They best way I can describe the crops I saw on this trip is..............plan for $2.50 corn and $5.00 beans. I've never seen better crops.

We then drove around the national park up through the Rockies. It felt pretty good up in the high country with temps in the 50's and a little snow left. I will have to admit that an old fat guy like me did have some trouble breathing at this altitude, but then again so did our car, you could feel the power loss.

After we got back down to an altitude that I could breathe again we got on I-70 at Denver and took it all they way home.

On this trip, crops were mostly good, but there were a few dry spots and some that looked like they had perhaps been a little wet.....but 90% of these I'd rate at 8-9.

The one negative I did notice was there is a lot of weedy bean fields out there this year. I really couldn't tell from the road what weed (weeds) were sticking through (Marestail, Waterhemp, Giant Rag, Pigweed???). Many fields were clean, but a lot of escapes were present.

As a farmer, I've always enjoyed harvesting a good crop and I think I will have that pleasure this year.......I'll just need to put out of my mind that it probably won't cover my cost of production.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)