AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help educate me on increasing corn yields...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 8/7/2016 07:14 (#5455267 - in reply to #5455231)
Subject: RE: Help educate me on increasing corn yields...

Several thoughts on this come to mind. Regarding fertility, I believe that strip till has an advantage in the fact that the plant senses so much fertility because of the higher concentration, that it tricks it into forming a larger ear early than it otherwise would. That's one component. If I wanted to go after maximum possible yield, here's how I would do it; first of all, I would employ a strip intercrop system, but with a different twist. I would utilize 6 rows of corn, with sprockets to give higher pops on the outer two rows, say 32,500, 38,500, 48,500. Then 15' of beans, adjoined by 15' of oats. The oats would allow the beans to do better, and could provide a travel lane to apply fungicides yourself without hiring it done, and wouldn't be running any crop over. I'd make a boom mounted on tractor to run alongside. Could even make it a double frame with drops to give an extra shot of N, utilizing Ydrops, and putting on fungicide at the same time. (Assuming oats got off in time) For tillage I would employ a 15' inline ripper, and inject a liquid PandK, on the shank, deep placing half of my fertilizer. I would then run a Pluribus in the spring applying the other half of P/K, along with AMS/urea/micros. Even a half rate in a 6" strip is a much higher concentration than a full broadcast rate. I can't imagine anything in broad acreage corn being able to compete with the yield/profitability of this system. This is obviously not for the big boys. A couple years ago, when the farm progress show was in Iowa, I checked out Stines plot, the year they introduced their 20", twin row concept. Pretty sure I saw 400 bushel corn for the first time in that plot. If wanting to achieve max yields, in a broad acreage environment, Stines concept would be hard to beat. Flame away.

Edited by Boone & Crockett 8/7/2016 07:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)